The State Department is responsible for providing policy direction and coordination of all matters related to housing and urban planning and development.
- Housing Policy Management
- Development and Management of Affordable Housing
- Management of Building and Construction Standards and Codes
- National Secretariat for Human Settlement
- Management of Civil Servants Housing Scheme
- Development and Management of Government Housing
- Shelter and Slum Upgrading
- Building Research Services
- Registration of Contractors and Materials Suppliers Building Research Services
- Registration of Civil, Building and Electro-Mechanical Contractors
- Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors
- Urban Planning and Development
- National Construction Authority
- National Housing Corporation (NHC)
- Kenya Building Research Centre
- Rent Restriction Tribunal (RRT)
The strategic objectives are:
- To build adequate capacity to deliver effective and efficient services;
- To formulate and coordinate implementation of policies and legal framework for sustainable, housing and urban development.
- To facilitate access to adequate housing.
- To improve livelihoods of people living and working in slums and informal settlements.
- To develop and coordinate implementation of integrated strategic urban development and capital investment plans.